My name is Nathan Terborg. I’m obsessed with being better today than yesterday. I am easily distracted and perpetually fascinated.
I strive to take a scalpel to my life by removing the unnecessary in order to create more space for things that get me closer to fulfilling my purpose. It’s a brutally simple filter; “Is this consistent with what I claim to want?” If yes, carry on. If no, it gets the knife. I fall short of this ideal daily and probably always will. I love mindlessly devouring Talenti Gelato by the pint in front of the TV way too much to claim victory any time soon. However, asking that critically important question definitely gets me just a little closer every day.
I’ve been thinking about starting a blog / podcast for a while now. Until now, I’ve allowed other silly things to get in the way. The recent passing of my Dad caused me to reconsider my excuses for ignoring the pull I felt to do something like this. Tomorrow isn’t promised to any of us.
I don’t know what part this blog will play, but I’m excited to find out. I have no idea how often I’ll have something to post or how often I’ll actually get around to posting it. But I do know that very few things stir my soul more than learning new things and sharing what I’ve learned with others.
A few facts about me:
- I buy 8.6 books per month & complete 37% of them.
- I have more hobbies and interests than time. This ever-expanding list includes training, painting, reading, meditation, crafts, all sports except cricket and volleyball, writing, surfing, hiking, designing tree houses in my head that I’ll never build, snowboarding, speaking, camping, traveling, and pretty much anything else that reveals my many weaknesses.
- I am a recovering addict. By the grace of God and the 12 steps of recovery, I have been sober since April 16, 2002.
- I’ve been entrepreneurially-minded my whole life, beginning at age 8 when I started mowing lawns and filling Land-O-Lakes ice cream buckets with lost golf balls and selling them back to the golf course.
- I am a business owner, but I won’t be talking about that much in this space.
- I am married to my dream girl and we have two slightly above-average daughters.
- I love annoying my kids by singing at the top of my lungs when we’re in the car. Currently, my favorite song is “Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga. I feel like my falsetto on the high notes is on point, but they seem to disagree.
- I have one brother who is slightly taller than me and arguably better looking.
- I learned a lot of what I know about people by selling books door to door for 5 summers during college.
- I have a chip on my shoulder that drives me in a number of healthy and unhealthy ways. I don’t understand this completely, but I’ve made friends with it and we seem to work together most of the time.
- I will never get through my bucket list. For every one thing that gets crossed off, three more seem to get added. This does not bother me.
- I think about my mortality a lot. I try to live as though I’ll die tomorrow and live to 120.
Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to learning with you.